Friday, March 11, 2011

artist of the week :: kris lewis

kris lewis says, "as i begin a painting the subject physically, emotionally and spiritually reveals itself to me. each brushstroke speaks to the subsequent stroke, carrying out a dialogue, linking my subject and me as if we were meeting for the first time. i find this uncertainty exciting and embrace the indecisive nature of my work."

his work although contemporary in theme is classical in composition and style. this interaction and dialog with the history of art is inspiring, and reminds us that we dont live in an artistic bubble. lewis' latvian heritage is evident in the works, as is the influence of artists like albrecht durer, hieronymus bosch, gustav klimt, and hans holbein. they also have a strong motion picture/hollywood quality to them in my opinion - again showing that what we digest informs what we create.

find out more at his website.




No comments: